“To be happy or not to be happy, that is the question” of every Chennaite right now. Should we celebrate this sudden cloudburst or to safeguard us and our belongings, fearing repetition of 2015 floods?
Yesterday, the precipitation level was very low throughout Chennai. But last night, around 7 p.m. heavy rain lashed the city with heavy thunderstorm and lightening, throughout the night. And even now the rainfall continues in some parts of the city.
Prevention is better than cure. Here are few precautionary methods you can take
When flood is imminent:
- Be prepared! Pack a bag with important items in case you need to evacuate. Don’t forget to include needed medications.
- If advised to evacuate your home, do so immediately.
- If there is any possibility of a flash flood, move immediately to higher ground.
- If possible, bring in outdoor furniture and move essential items to an upper floor.
- Turn off utilities at the main switches or valves if instructed to do so. Disconnect electrical appliances.
- Last but not the least, to be on the safer side, Convert your documents like degree certificates, documents of properties and other essential documents into digital form.
- Do not walk through moving water. As little as 6 inches (15 centimeters) of moving water can make you fall.
- If you have to walk in water, wherever possible, walk where the water is not moving. Use a stick to check the firmness of the ground in front of you.
- Do not drive into flooded areas. If floodwaters rise around your car, abandon the car and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
- Do not touch electrical equipment if you are drenched or standing in water.